AYO’s 13 Moons Harm Reduction initiative is hiring 2 Part Time Youth Harm Reduction Workers! Please share with any youth leaders you know who want to help us support the healing of our relatives who use drugs!
POSITION: Youth Peer Harm Reduction Worker
LOCATION: Winnipeg, MB
Term: ASAP- March 31, 2019 with potential renewal April 1, 2019 –March 31 2020
Hours: 20-40 hours a week
Hourly Rate: $18.50/hour
AYO (Aboriginal Youth Opportunities) is a youth movement from Winnipeg’s North End that is committed to breaking stereotypes and creating opportunity for urban Indigenous young people. We develop relationships with organizations, media, government and businesses in order to empower each other. This group is led by young people volunteering and sharing their gifts with others. We are currently hiring Indigenous youth to work with our 13 Moons Harm Reduction initiative, a culture based program to reduce harms for people who use drugs.
AYO is the lead on implementing the 13 Moons Project, which is funded by the Public Health Agency of Canada. Ka Ni Kanichihk is providing organizational support and financial management, and is part of the Executive Circle along with Winnipeg Regional Health Authority Population Public Health and Manitoba Harm Reduction Network. Employees of the project report to the Executive Circle.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
AYO requires 2 experienced, knowledgeable, and motivated Outreach Workers to connect with people aged 11-35 who are currently using drugs.
Using a harm reduction, healing centered, anti-racist, and culturally grounded approach, the successful candidate will:
> Support the project’s PWUD Advisory Council:
- Maintain and support communications with members
- Support training and capacity building opportunities for members
- Ensure activities support the deliverables outlined in the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) work plan
- Responsible for carrying out day to day operations according to the work plan
- Finding opportunities to connect with people who use drugs
- Independently carry out overall day to day activities in alignment with the work plan
- Deliver a 13 week program on healthy sexuality and harm reduction
- Coordinate social media
- Attend monthly Executive Circle meetings
- Contribute to necessary documents and reports for the Executive Circle
- Responsible for ensuring that necessary materials & equipment for activities are in stock
- Identify, develop, and/or participate in appropriate networks and coalitions
- Assist with event planning, including conferences
- Participate in evaluation activities according to work plan
> Follow all policies and procedures of the employing and funding organizations
> Other duties as delegated by the Executive Circle
- A high school diploma
- 2-3 years of experience working in their community on community events, campaigns, coalition building etc.
- Strong community connections, in particular with communities that are affected by harmful substance use and those not traditionally well served by systems.
- Lived experience with substance use.
- Previous roles, volunteer or employment, with inner city organizations.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to organize and coordinate meetings.
- Works using a decolonizing and anti-racist approach.
- A commitment to working from a harm reduction oriented, healing centered, and culturally grounded perspective.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with Indigenous people.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be able to work flexible hours according to the activities required of the job position.
- Comfortable working as part of a team and independently.
- Experienced in software programs for data management, word processing and basic design (eg. Office, social media).
HOW TO APPLY
Before 4pm on November 30 please submit resume and cover letter highlighting how you meet the qualifications by email. Please write APPLICATION in the subject line.
Please submit applications to:
Name: Marcia Anderson
Position: Co-Chair Executive Circle
Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.